Fundamentally, this blog is an expression of what I believe.
Though I first the blog to focus on 50 Shades and its problems, I thought to myself: am I going to blog about badly written erotica, but not about the love poem Song of Songs? Or about the terms of a BDSM contract, but not about the meaning of covenant? Or about the eternal marriage of two undead vampires (that’s a Twilight Saga reference there), but not about the hope I have for resurrection?
So… the posts on this page all directly relate to my faith as a Christian. You find contemplations on life and deep dives into the Bible and theology, as well as some complaints about church culture,
For an all-round flavour of the topics that I blog about and my theology, have a read of Always reforming: 95 statements on hope, sexuality and consent, it includes statements like:
1. When God expresses himself through us, the outworking result is authentic to both us and him.
29. God isn’t boring, has a sense of humour, and understands suffering.
33. Any sexual ethic based on inexperience and/or passive preservation, is purity culture.
51. Awareness of sin comes with maturity; it’s not always a prerequisite for putting faith in Jesus.
56. The commission of the church is to embody, for the sake of the world, the same reconciling covenant faithfulness (that is, righteousness) that was shown to us in Jesus.
58. Acculturation does not always mean conformity to the pattern of the world. Witness Esther.
85. Purity-as-separation subverts God’s plan for reconciliation and is contrary to the church’s covenant calling.
Delving theology – Sermons, book reviews, analysis
Irritating evangelicalism – Complaints and challenges for change in evangelical culture
Water for the soul – Peaceful contemplations
Creative works – Poems and short stories
Perspective on purity – What I understand by purity and purity culture